Canada is one of the best places for higher studies, with plenty of good universities and institutions. If a student goes to pursue higher studies in Canada, then he or she has to apply for a student permit visa.
The student permit visa is a legal document that allows an international student to study in Canada for a limited time. Apart from some exceptions, every student needs this legal document to pursue further studies in Canada.
As a foreign student who wants to pursue his or her studies in Canada, you need to secure a study permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This regulatory body grants permission to eligible students to complete higher education in Canada based on a number of factors.
1. To secure minimum IELTS bands as per the requirements of the Canadian government.
2. A letter of acceptance is sent to the applicant by the designated educational institution in Canada recognized by IRCC and the Canadian government.
3. To have a criminal and background record check, the applicant must possess a police clearance certificate.
4. To have a clear medical record.
5. Prove that the country would be left after the study permit visa expires or will apply for a post-graduate work permit, if eligible.
6. The applicant must show that he or she has enough funds to meet his or her first-year tuition fees and living expenses, along with the amount required to transport to the home country.
7. The applicant must have a minimum of CAD 10,000 for a single student for a period of 12 months, CAD 14,000 per year if accompanied by a family member, and CAD 3,000 for each additional family member.
8. The applicant needs to carry all the supporting documents with him or her after receiving the acceptance letter.
9.Applications can be done online or on paper. Depending on the residence of the applicant, he or she would receive a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) or letter of introduction confirming the approval.
10. Study permit processing time varies from country to country.
11. To receive a legal study permit from the immigration officer, you need to present the documents at the port of entry of Canada.